Protection, Location, Aquisition, Navigation
- Protection~If there has been an accident, check to see if everyone is okay. Apply first-aid if necessary. Assess how far from rescue you are. Seek shelter, especially if there is severe weather. Try very hard not to panic. Many people panic and do not think about common sense things that can help them survive. Doing your best to stay calm can help you survive a dangerous situation.
- Location~If you are abandoning a vehicle, leave a note with the time, date, your strategy (if you're leaving the car, state where you are headed), etc. Also, leave something on the roof of the vehicle to help rescuers locate you. For example, you could make an X on the top of the vehicle with rocks.
- Acquisition~Fire, water, food Solar still (Gather all the green vegetation you can find and dig a hole. Put greens all around it and some sort of water container inside. If you have plastic, cover the top with it. The sun can heat the greens and create condensation. The water can collect in your container for you to drink. Socks can be used by putting charcoal from your fire in it, pour water in the sock into it and the charcoal will serve as a filter. Food~Try to find nuts, berries, fish, etc. We learned various ways to try to obtain food.
- Navigation~Follow a stream if possible or a path if there is one. A stream can lead to a river, a river can lead to a larger body of water, etc. If you have a map, try to figure out where you are,
- If you stand with your back to the sun, you will always be facing north. If you point your watch toward the sun with the time it currently is, bisect the angle of the time it currently is by 12:00 and you will have north/south. Acute angles are south and obtuse are north. If your back is to the sun, it is the opposite.
We also picked up all of our Longworth traps today and did a little more work on habitat piles. We're pretty sad that today was our last day in the field. :(